- BBC Weather – 5day and 24hour forecasts
- Met office rain radar
- Dutch rain radar – fascinating to watch!
- Raintoday radar
- Cyclestreets.net – Good for planning cycle journeys, displays levels of traffic and hillyness
- Cycleroutes.com – Useful where your journey involves using public transport
- Train timetables, Maps, and Engineering works (South Eastern trains)
- Notes about taking bikes on trains
- OS Maps
Routes we’ve done before
We are starting to put together a list of ‘ready to ride’ routes, see here. Although in it’s infancy these should prove useful if you fancy a ride but don’t have time to plan it (working out timings, coffee stops, ride gradings, etc). Choose one that someone has already done 🙂
Other clubs & groups in the area
- East Sussex CTC – Regular rides
- Hastings Urban Bikes (HUB) – Campaign group for Hastings area, do a few unusual rides
- Bexhill Wheelers – Regular rides
- Bexhill Classic cycle group – Local club in Bexhill, with an Edwardian theme. Have an excellent history page!
- Bespoke (Eastbourne) – Mainly campaign group, do occasional rides
- Rye Wheelers – Road riding club, long distance rides
- Robertsbridge rough riders – Cross-country riding in the Robertsbridge area
- Boars on Bikes based at Bedgebury Forest. Offroad club, with track building opportunities
- Cycle East Sussex – Campaign group for whole of East Sussex
If you would like to order any of the items below, or have any questions please contact Sheena on 07963886585 or 01424 460490
Always call for current prices. Prices in October 2014 were as follows. Note that size-2 tops (34″ chest) are VAT-free.
Sizes available are 34″, 36″, 38″, 40″, 42″, 44″ and 46″
- Short sleeve summerweight. Size 2 = £25, other sizes = £30 inc vat
- Long sleeve warm fabric. Size 2 = £33, other sizes £40
- Long sleeve thinner fabric. Size 2 = £27, other sizes £33
- Jackets heavy winter. Size 2 = £46, other sizes £55
- Shorts + bibs size 2 = £28, other sizes £34.
- Shorts size 2 = £26, other sizes £32
- Roubaix bib tights with same text as shorts. Size 2 = £35, other sizes £42
The tops are made from EU-sourced materials, and are made in Belgium
Local bike shops
To avoid disappointment always contact the shops before visiting them. If you’re looking to get replacement parts it’s often a good idea to take the old part(s) with you.
Note that 1066 Cycle Club does not endorse any organisations, products, websites, or services mentioned.
|Location||Name||What they do|
|New bikes, some basic parts/accessories, bike servicing/repair|
|Battle||Bytes, Bolts and Leaves||Servicing, repairs, and modifications|
|Bodiam||E-bikes direct||Electric bikes, plus bike parts. Basic items such as tyres, gears, pedals etc are always in stock, anything else needs to be ordered in specially.
Please note this isn’t like a conventional bike shop, it’s mainly a warehouse for their e-bay shop. While the staff may lack knowledge, it’s a good place to get cheap parts; in 2012 Dale bought a Shimano triple chainset, a 7-spd rear cassette, plus a Michelin 700/23c tyre for just £38
Two of our club members have bought electric bikes from here, and are very pleased with them
(used to be “Car Crazy”)
|New bikes, plus parts and repairs
Club members can get 10% discount from products and repairs when presented with a valid membership card.
CycleLife also participate in Raleigh’s scheme to send secondhand bikes to Africa, so if you have unwanted bikes they can be left at the store
1a, 25 Moorhurst Road, St Leonards-on-Sea
|Specialising in BMX bikes and parts, although Dale spotted a few items such as pedals, handlebar grips, seat post clamps, etc will fit most bikes|
1 Harold Place, TN34 1JA
|New bikes, parts, and servicing
Club members can get 10% discount here.
St Andrews market &
Opposite crazy golf
|Bike hire, new & second hand bikes for sale|
|Mobile bicycle mechanic, run by one of Hazel’s work colleagues. Servicing and repairs.
We’ve heard he is a good mechanic. If you use him please let us know
|Bexhill||Bexhill Bicycle Hire
|Polegate||Kontour Cycles||New & used bikes for sale, parts, servicing|
|Cycling Made Easy||Cycle sales and servicing. Specialists for electric bikes.
Members of 1066 Cycle Club will receive 10% off all cycle servicing and accessory purchases.
|Bedgebury||Quench Cycles||Off-road hire, some bike parts, servicing. New and second-hand bikes for sale. Hire of child carriers (suggest to call them first before visiting)|
Please help us keep this list up to date! Let us know if you find anything which has changed, or is wrong
Or if you fancy fixing it yourself…
- Basic bike maintenance courses occasionally crop up at Bedgebury
- The Labyrinth runs bike maintenance sessions in Hastings on Wednesday evenings
- Ask around in the club, we have quite a few mechanics who will help you out
- For quick bike checks, the M-Check by Sustrans is a good starting point
- A good repair guide here
Getting things put right…
- Report pot holes (also see iPhone app)
- ESCC pot holes and other road problems
- Roads/pavements/lighting at East Sussex Highways
- Problems with rights-of-way
- Bad driving CTC
- …or Operation Crackdown (reporting mobile phone use, for example)
Where to Cycle
- Bedgebury forest & forum
- ESCC Rides & walks Summer brochure
- Other tracks in Sussex from cycle-route.com
- SUSTRANS NCN app for iPad & iPhone
- Google Maps has recently started to mark some routes as being cycle-friendly
Miscellaneous Cycling resources
- Cycle training with CycleSafe (see their facebook page also)
- Sections of the Highway Code relating to cyclists
- Visit the Sheldon Brown website for technical tips
- The great CycleChat forum. Today’s topics usually good
- Bespoke’s guide to choosing a bike
- Help protect your bike, register it with the police database
- Become a Sustrans ranger. Sue/Sheena/Bernie can tell you more!
Help the environment
- Foster Motors in station road Battle can take old bike tyres; they are sent for recycling into tennis courts !
- If you’re travelling by car to the start point of a ride, please consider car-sharing. If you are a passenger in someone’s vehicle then we suggest you donate 10p per mile to the driver, although this is optional.
We do not endorse any organisations, products, websites, or services mentioned